Sunday, June 25, 2006

The People Tour Guides Meet and the Things they say . . .

This week in Charleston . . .

Its a small world after all. I met Rod Morgenstein in the Market this week. If you don't know who he is . . . listen up.

I was driving the private carriage and sitting in a tourist traffic backup on the State Street crossover in the Market when this guy walks up to me.

He asks, “Hey, do remember a club that used to be around here called Myskyn's Tavern?”

Do I??? One of the all time great bars in Charleston, where I drank many an adult beverage and listened to great music. I gave him directions. (For the uninitiated, Myskyn's used to be located at 85 Market Street, currently Casa Grande Mexican restaurant). Then I asked him, ”Why are you interested in Myskyn's?”

“I'm a musician. We used used to play there.”
“What was the band?”
“Dixie Dregs,” he said.
I stared at him. “You're Rod Morgenstein, the drummer.”
He was stunned. “You know who the hell I am?”
“Absolutely,” I told him. “One of the greatest live shows I've ever seen in Charleston was when you guys played outside at the College of Charleston Cistern in 1981.”
He smiled. “I've still got the t-shirt from that show.”
I also told him that one of my favorite concerts of all time was a triple bill: Mother's Finest / Dixie Dregs / Atlanta Rhythm Section in Augusta, Ga.

He was quite amazed that I knew who he was. He was a nice, down-to-earth guy. He has been the drummer for Winger, The Steve Morse Band and hundreds of other gigs and recording sessions. He was also amazed to a find Dregs fan, not that many of us around. But if you want some good music . . . check them out. Rod today is an associate professor of music at Berklee Music Academy in Boston. Rod's website is www.rodmorgenstein.com
The people we meet while on carriages.

A good sports story from a few years ago.I was giving a private tour for Coach Eddie Fogler, former basketball coach at South Carolina / Vanderbilt / Asst. Coach at UNC. Fogler, his wife and two children were on the carriage. The Heels had just fired Matt Daughtery as coach the day before. Halfway on the tour Fogler got a call on his cell phone. He looked at the phone and then looked at me. “I'm sorry, I have to take this. It's Coach Smith”
“Absolutely!” I agreed. When Dean Smith calls someone on my carriage, you take the call!

Smith told Fogler that Roy Williams had agreed to leave Kansas and take the UNC basketball job. Fogler hung up and looked at me and grinned. “I bet you've never had a scoop like this on your carriage, have you? You know who's gonna be the new Tar Heel coach before the guys on ESPN.”


But the topper for this week: yet another wedding story.
I picked up the bride and groom. Also on the carriage were two teenagers, a boy and girl ages 15/16 I guess. Issue from a previous marriage or whatever. They settled down in the carriage, and I drive off. The groom loosens his tie and says to his new wife: “Thank God that's over. Don't forget. You owe me a blowjob tonight.”

I love my job!! And
I hope the groom loved his also.

2 Comments:

Blogger chucker said...

I CAN'T believe the groom did that!

You mean he loosened his tie while wearing a tux? What is this world coming to?

9:46 PM  
Blogger Mark R. Jones said...

Hmmm . . .did I mention anywhere that he was wearing a tux? No. Never make an assumption that a groom is wearing a tux.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home